[petsc-users] Flexiable AIJ matrix for nonzeros -- hash table version

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 16 15:40:41 CDT 2011

    We really appreciate the work you've done on this, but

1) we can't accept patches to the released version of PETSc since that is likely outdated compared to petsc-dev. We'd like all patches that can be applied directly to petsc-dev http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/developers/index.html#Sending_patches_to_update_the_

2) as Jed mentioned in an earlier email. It is sort of over-kill to provide an entire new matrix class with the hash table stuff.  If instead it was provided as runtime optional support directly in the SeqAIJ matrices that would be simpler to maintain and for people to use. So you could just add the additional data structure inside the Mat_SeqAIJ and then have MatSetValues_SeqAIJ() use the hash table directly when appropriate.

   Barry