[petsc-users] Tuning the parallel performance of a 3D FEM CFD code

Henning Sauerland uerland at gmail.com
Thu May 12 08:41:19 CDT 2011

Hi,

I'm using PETSC with a finite element incompressible two-phase Navier-Stokes code. In 3D I'm currently struggling with the parallel performance. The domain partitioning is done with ParMeTis and PETSC is used for matrix assembly and solving. Unfortunately, for this problem the number of processors has a large influence on the number of iterations leading to a poor scaling. I have already tested a lot of solver-preconditioner combinations. LGMRES with ASM preconditioning seems to perform best. Applying -sub_pc_type lu helped a lot in 2D, but in 3D apart from reducing the number of iterations the whole solution takes more than 10 times longer. I attached the log_summary output for a problem with about 240000 unkowns (1 time step) using 4, 8 and 16 Intel Xeon E5450 processors (InfiniBand-connected). As far as I see the number of iterations seems to be the major issue here or am I missing something? I would appreciate any suggestions as to what I could try to improve the scaling.

Thanks
Henning