[petsc-users] V-cycle multigrid with matrix shells

Sylvain Barbot sylbar.vainbot at gmail.com
Thu May 12 01:12:34 CDT 2011

Dear Jed,

During my recent visit to ETH, I talked at length about multi-grid
with Dave May who warned me about the issues of large
coefficient-contrasts. Most of my problems of interest for
tectonophysics and earthquake simulations are cases of relatively
smooth variations in elastic moduli. So I am not too worried about
this aspect of the problem. I appreciate your advice about trying
simpler solutions first. I have tested at length direct solvers of 2-D
and 3-D problems of elastic deformation and I am quite happy with the
results. My primary concern now is computation speed, especially for
3-D problems, where i have of the order 512^3 degrees of freedom. I
was planning to test Jacobi and SOR smoothers. Is there another
smoother you recommend for this kind of problem?

Thanks,
Sylvain