[petsc-users] Maximum number of local vectors?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 10 16:45:18 CDT 2011

On May 10, 2011, at 4:34 PM, Алексей Рязанов wrote:

> Hi, thank you again for all your previous responds.
>
> Now I have another question: how many vectors is it possible to get with DAGetLocalVector simultaneously? Is there any restrictions or adjustments?

   There is no limit. If you get more than 100 outstanding at a particular time it no longer caches those over 100 outstanding and instead the DARestoreLocalVector() immediately frees the space. But it is completely possible to have hundreds in use at the same time (though it seems strange to me).

   The Get/Restore paradigm is intended for subroutines that may for a short time need some work vectors. Vectors that you keep around for much of the live of the program normally would be obtained with the Create/Destroy paradigm. The only reason for the Get/Restore code is that users need to work about managing work vectors themselves.

   Barry