[petsc-users] nonzero prescribed boundary condition

Tian(ICT) rongtian at ncic.ac.cn
Mon May 9 21:15:56 CDT 2011

Dear Barry, Thanks a lot for quick answering.
I checked the development documents and found the new version of
MatZeroRows() does support the nonzero prescribed boundary conditions.

I followed up with more details.
I am using Petasc 2.3.3. to solve a nonlinear problem, e.g. using SNES
solvers.
I used a displacement-controlled load (as this type of loading works well
for all cases).
This is the reason the nonzero prescribed boundary came up.

In FormJacobian, I modified Jacobian and residual to satisfy the nonzero
prescribed boundary.
In FormFunction, I modified the solution to the known solution(this should
not be necessary as the modified Jacobian and rhs should give the prescribed
solution also)

Now I found another issue, no matter if I prescried the solution or not in
FormFunction,
SNES solver always call FormFunction and never call FormJacobian.
Of course the solver finally diverged or converged to a zero solution.

So my quick follow up question is How a displacement-controled load is done
corrently in Petsc 2.3.3?

Rong