[petsc-users] question about petsc and gpus

Randall Mackie rlmackie862 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 12:06:57 CDT 2011

I have access to a computer with a GPU, and I wanted to play around a bit
with petsc on this gpu.
So I have compiled petsc-dev with cusp, thrust, and cuda to give GPU
support, and I am ready
to run some examples.

However, something is not clear to me: how does petsc know which gpu to run
something on?
For example, this machine has two gpus: one for the display, and then one
compute gpu.
So I see /dev/nvidia0 and /dev/nvidia1. If I just issue the command from the
petsc web page,
will it run it on the right gpu?

Also, what if a computer has two compute gpus? Does petsc use both of them
or only one?

Thanks in advance,

Randy