[petsc-users] SNES_DIVERGED_LS_FAILURE

Juha Jäykkä juhaj at iki.fi
Thu Jun 23 05:49:44 CDT 2011

>   As Matt notes you absolutely need to run with -pc_type lu
> -ksp_monitor_true_residual -ksp_converged_reason to make sure that the

Why lu? I was running with bjacobi for whatever reason, which I no longer
recall. Probably gave the fastest convergence before introducing the horribly
nonlinear terms.

I just tried lu again: it converges, too, but snes still diverges. Running
with -pc_type none requires too many KSP iterations, I had a limit of 1e6 and
ran out. I will revisit this while I wait for any further replies, but as it
takes so long, I will finish this reply first.

> linear system solve is not the issue. It is also possible that a bug in
> the function evaluation (using uninitialized values or something) is
> causing the difficulty: run with valgrind

Valgrind complains a LOT about openmpi, which guess is not the issue here. It
also complains about PetscStrcasecmp (sic!) and some other Petsc* functions,
but my code is clean: the last complaint from valgrind (apart from the summary
at the end) comes from SNESSetFromOptions, which is called before I construct
the initial guess.

Cheers,
-Juha

		| Juha Jäykkä, juhaj at iki.fi			|