[petsc-users] Fwd: superlu_dist with same_nonzero_pattern

Xiangdong Liang xdliang at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:18:21 CDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I had some problem in using superlu_dist with same_nonzero_pattern.
Sometimes superlu_dist solver halts there and never finishes. However,
when I switched to different_nonzero_pattern or other solvers, the
program works nicely.  Ding had reported this problem a few months
ago:
 http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/petsc-users/2011-January/007623.html

Following Barry's suggestion, I checked that the nonzero pattern of my
matrix is still the same via
 ierr=MatSetOption(M, MAT_NEW_NONZERO_LOCATION_ERR,PETSC_TRUE); CHKERRQ(ierr);

I tried two other options:

1 First install the latest superlu_dist (v2.5), then compile petsc
with this new superlu_dist package. However, the problem is still
there, and the performance is even worse ( comparing to the option
--download-superlu_dist=yes (v2.4)).

2 I compiled petsc-dev with --download-superlu_dist. However, I got
some errors when compiling my program with petsc-dev. It said that

ResonatorOpt.c: In function ‘main’:
ResonatorOpt.c:154: error: ‘MAT_SOLVER_SUPERLU_DIST’ undeclared (first
use in this function)
ResonatorOpt.c:154: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
ResonatorOpt.c:154: error: for each function it appears in.)

Besides superlu_dist, MAT_SOLVER_PASTIX and MAT_SOLVER_PASTIX are
undeclared either. Am I missing some header files? I used the same
procedure as I complied regular petsc, which had no such problems.  (I
tried to attach the configure log in a previous mail, but it is
bounced back.)

Can you give me some suggestions on using superlu_dist with
same_nonzero_pattern? Thank you.

Best,
Xiangdong