[petsc-users] Attaching to gdb within screen

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Jun 22 08:57:53 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 15:50, John Fettig <john.fettig at gmail.com> wrote:

> This still doesn't work, although I have no idea why.  The title of
> the screen changes briefly to
>
> Cannot exec '/correct/path/garbage': No such file or directory.
>
> where "garbage" means non-ascii characters.  I gave it the full path
> to redirect.sh and it displayed that correctly, just not the script.

By title, I'm guessing you mean the screen session title.

Could you try changing the script to just have:

echo ppid=$PPID pwd=$PWD cmd="$@"
sleep 10

Screen's remote session creation unfortunately resets PWD (at least on my
machine), so the gdb command is expected to "fail" at opening the executable
(unless the original program was invoked with full path), but succeed at
attaching to the process ID.