[petsc-users] Attaching to gdb within screen

John Fettig john.fettig at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 20:07:22 CDT 2011

Fellow petsc users,

I am trying to start my program in gdb, using the options

-start_in_debugger -debug_terminal "screen -X -S debug screen"

where I have a running screen named debug.  If I run with e.g. -np 4,
all 4 processes report that they are being attached by gdb, but in the
screen session only 2 new windows show up.  If I run with -np 2, only
1 new window shows up.  If I de-attach these windows by quitting gdb,
the program runs.  On the other hand, if I use "xterm -e", all of the
xterms pop up.  Any ideas?

John