[petsc-users] Strongly nonlinear equation solved within the framework of PETSc

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 27 22:01:15 CST 2011

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 19:58, Feng-Chao Wang <wolfshow at gmail.com> wrote:

> **
> Dear all,
>
> I want to numerically solve a strongly nonlinear fourth-order equation
> (2-D), which is used to describe the dynamics of a liquid film.
> please find the form of the equation below or in the attachment, The
> thickness of the film,  H(X,Y,T) is the function to be solved, C, G, A0 are
> constant parameters.
>

> I wrote a PETSc programs for this problem, using CN method in time.
> However, it does not work well. In some cases, there are some
> negativevalues in the solution (Obviously, the thickness of the liquid film
> could not be negative.) While in some other cases, the solution remains as
> the initial condition, looking like the governing equation doesn't work at
> all.

1. Make sure that the equations are actually being solved, for instance
with -snes_monitor -snes_converged_reason -ksp_converged_reason.

2. Start with a time integration method that has a discrete maximum
principle. Implicit Euler has this property for many classes of systems,
but CN does not.

3. Consider writing the system as a variational inequality if positivity is
still a problem with the time steps you want to take. Then use SNESVIRS (or
SNESVIRSAUG or SNESVISS).