[petsc-users] Pseudoinverse of a large matrix

Modhurita Mitra modhurita at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 13:00:38 CST 2011

I am trying to express the radiation pattern of an antenna in terms of
spherical harmonic basis functions. I have radiation pattern data at
N=324360 points. Therefore, my matrix is spherical harmonic basis functions
evaluated till order sqrt(N) (which makes up at total of N elements),
evaluated at N data points. So this is a linear least squares problem, and
I have been trying to solve it by finding its pseudoinverse which uses SVD.
The elements of the matrix are complex, and the matrix is non-sparse. I
have solved it in MATLAB using a subsample of the data, but MATLAB runs out
of memory while calculating the SVD at input matrix size 2500 X 2500. I
need to solve this problem using the entire data.

I was thinking of using SLEPc because I found a ready-to-use code which
computes the SVD of a complex-valued matrix (
http://www.grycap.upv.es/slepc/documentation/current/src/svd/examples/tutorials/ex14.c.html).
I don't know how to use either PETSc or SLEPc (or Elemental) yet, so I
am trying to figure out where to start and what I should learn.

Thanks,
Modhurita