[petsc-users] boomerAmg scalability

Ravi Kannan rxk at cfdrc.com
Thu Dec 15 10:23:58 CST 2011

Dear All,

This is Ravi Kannan from CFD Research Corporation. Recently, we are
experimenting with the BoomerAMG preconditioner for some "stiff" CFD
problems. In that regard, all the other standard solver-preconditioner
combinations failed for the current CFD problem. The boomer is the only one
which is able to provide with "converged" solutions.

We noticed that the scalability of this boomer preconditioner is really
poor. For instance, even with a cell size of 2 million, we cannot scale to
even 16 partitions (in contrast, the other solver-preconditioner
combinations like the BI-CGS/BJacobi gave good enough scalability).

Are we missing something? Do we need to use a more latest version of boomer?

Thanks,

Ravi.