[petsc-users] debugging with no X11 available

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 12 07:21:44 CST 2011

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Dominik Szczerba <dominik at itis.ethz.ch>wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your answers. Meanwhile I clarified the situation a bit:
> >
> > I can bring xterm up manually from the command line, but the job is
> > run using a scheduler (slurm). It then gets executed on arbitrary
> > nodes (some stripped down linux) which apparently can not make X11
> > connections.
> >

> Sometimes you can set the env on the compute nodes, and get DISPLAY right.

With compute nodes -its not easy. Even if they have X11 installed - you
might have to do multiple things:

1. allocate nodes
2. create ssh-x11 tunnels to each node thats allocated [and hope its the same localhost:10 value]
3. Now start up the parallel job with this display

mpiexec -n 4 ./ex2 -start_in_debugger -display localhost:10

Satish