[petsc-users] MATBDIAG in > 3.1

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 03:36:55 CST 2011

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 2:54 AM, Parker, Andrew (UK Filton) <
Andrew.Parker2 at baesystems.com> wrote:

> Legends, nice one!
>
> Got to that point in the souce code yesterday, saw that 7 was missing
> from the switch statement, and got worried.
>
> Is there any symmetry between the code in block size 5->6->7->8?  I've
> asked that without looking, so could be stupid question.  The reason I
> ask is that if there is this is a classic use of something like
> boost-preprocessor macros or a bit of templating, as in the compiler
> would expand it all out given a pattern at compile time?  Just
> interest....

This is the kind of thing you could do with templates. However, that would
mean

  1) It only works in C++, and the logic is convoluted

  2) You can't see the generated code

  3) Its impossible to debug (and usually optimize)

We are looking at other approaches.