[petsc-users] DMDA Question

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 2 22:43:23 CST 2011

On Dec 2, 2011, at 4:52 PM, Tim Gallagher wrote:

> There are only unknowns at the cell centers. The coordinates of the nodes may be used during computation though.
>
> I'd have to think if it's possible to specify the nodes as dof's of each cell center... but that may duplicate a lot of data and be sort of convoluted to understand what was going on in the code.

   Tim,

   So the issue is that there is no way to insure that two different DA's with different dimensions get the same parallel layout so the coordinate information you need is always easily available with the cell data.

   Someday we hope to have support for staggered grids with DAs and that would make your task much much easier. Sorry it doesn't exist now.

    Here is what I would do now because it is so easy to do and the parallelism becomes trivial.  Create 2 DMDAs both of the same size but have the first have a dof equal to your number of equations and have the second one have a dof of 8 (for 2d problems) and 16 for 3d problems. Both DMDA's will have the same parallel layout and the ghosted versions while also have the same layout. Now store the x,y coordinates of all four vertices of each cell (in 2d) into the 8 locations of a vector associated with the second DMDA. Now you will access coordinates of cell vertices with the same indexing that you use for the equations (after calling DMDAVecGetArray()).   The code will be very clean.

   The only drawback is the extra storage of the coordinates but frankly that is likely to be a relatively small amount of additional memory compared to everything else need in the simulation.

    Note: do not use the DMDACoordinates interfaces that is not appropriate for what you need, just keep the coordinates as I described above.

   Barry