[petsc-users] point-wise vector product

Xiangdong Liang xdliang at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 11:22:34 CDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I am wondering what function in petsc computes the pointwise product of two
vectors. For example, vin1=[1,2], vin2=[3,4]; I need a function to output
vout= vin1.*vin2 = [3,8]. I can write my own function, but I am worrying
whether the vin1 and vin2 are known by all the processors (I guess not if
they are parallel vectors and distributed). More precisely, when one
processor computes vout[i] = vin1[i]*vin2[i], is it possible that vin1[i] or
vin2[i] are not known by this particular processor and the program output an
NaN or other meaningless vout[i]? Thank you very much!

Xiangdong