[petsc-users] Pre-conditioner for parallel CFD simulation

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Thu Apr 14 12:28:54 CDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 19:20, Denner, Fabian <f.denner09 at imperial.ac.uk>wrote:

> I have a question concerning pre-conditioner/solver pairs for CFD. I'm
> using the BiCGStab solver with a Jacobi pre-conditioner at present to
> perform parallel simulations of fluid flow on unstructured grids.

There are lots of methods for CFD. Maybe you could be more specific about
what you're solving (laminar, RANS, LES, DNS; compressible?; fully implicit,
v-p split implicit, explicit v/implicit p). The mesh quality is also
relevant. Do you have aspect ratio 10^6 elements as for wall-resolved LES?

> It works, however, for large meshes (>100k elements) the solver doesn't
> scale very well in terms of necessary iterations to reach a certain
> tolerance.
> Does anybody have experience on which pre-conditioner works best for
> parallel CFD simulations using the BiCGStab solver? How is the convergence
> and stability of the multigrid solver compared to BiCGStab?

1/(\Delta x) iterations versus 1