[petsc-users] time spent on each level of the solver for multigrid preconditioner

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Tue Apr 12 08:45:23 CDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 15:40, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> perhaps you are only running with one level and hence only getting one
> level or information. Or perhaps there is a bug/issue and we don't report
> for the coarsest level. If it is missing a level please send a bug report to
> petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov using a PETSc example

-pc_mg_log was totally broken in 3.1, I fixed it here

changeset:   17148:1ab456826813
user:        Jed Brown <jed at 59A2.org>
date:        Fri Sep 24 11:39:46 2010 +0200
files:       src/ksp/pc/impls/mg/fmg.c src/ksp/pc/impls/mg/mg.c
src/ksp/pc/impls/mg/mgimpl.h src/ksp/pc/impls/mg/smg.c
Make PC_MG logging (-pc_mg_log) log each level separately.

The old code clearly intended to do this, but the events were in PC_MG,
not PC_MG_Levels so all but the finest was leaked (and time from all
levels was attributed to the finest level).

http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/petsc-dev/rev/1ab456826813