[petsc-users] [DMMG] Stokes Solver

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Fri Apr 8 04:47:35 CDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 11:40, <domenico.borzacchiello at univ-st-etienne.fr>wrote:

> I can't get why it takes more than one Newton iteration even if my system
> is linear and the linear solver is direct.

The direct solver should also converge in one iteration. Are you only
assembling an approximation of the Jacobian (e.g. using -snes_mf_operator)?
If using MFFD, is the system poorly scaled such that the step size is very
low accuracy (maybe try -mat_mffd_type ds)? Are the equations singular? Is
both the Jacobian and residual evaluation correct?

> As for the Vanka smoother would you suggest to implement it with PCSHELL
> or by defining a new PC type?

That is up to you. Defining a new PC type makes it more reusable, but
PCShell is a bit quicker to develop. You can start with PCShell and convert
it later.