[petsc-users] Performance of superlu_dist

Ormiston, Scott J. SJ_Ormiston at UManitoba.ca
Fri Apr 1 08:43:12 CDT 2011

I am just starting to try superlu_dist to get a direct solver that runs
in parallel with PETSc.

My first tests (with ex15f) show that it takes longer and longer as the
number of cores increases. For example 4 cores takes 8 times longer than
2 cores and 8 cores takes 25 times longer than 4 cores.  Obviously I
expected a speed-up; has anyone else seen this behaviour with
superlu_dist? If not, what could be going wrong here?

Scott Ormiston