[petsc-users] call petsc real/petsc complex in same application

Darach Golden darach at tchpc.tcd.ie
Thu Oct 7 07:17:42 CDT 2010

On Thursday the 07 of October 2010 , Jed Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 12:52, Darach Golden <darach at tchpc.tcd.ie> wrote:
>
> > Is there any (safe) way of using real and complex compiles of petsc in
> > different parts of the same application?
> >

> Not really.

thought so

> > The intent here is to save memory in the first call above where
> > complex numbers are not needed.
> >

> What is the relative size of each system?

the purposes are different:

- one is a poisson solve using dmmg (real).  So we don't want to store
complex PetscScalars -- or am I just missing the fact that we can use
PetscReal here with a complex compile?

- the other is operations on (possibly including inversion of) complex
matrices

The solve and the inversion happen at different parts of an existing
code

Darach