[petsc-users] 2nd order time-stepping in PETSc

Mark Cheeseman mark.cheeseman at kaust.edu.sa
Wed May 26 07:53:36 CDT 2010

Hello,

I am a new user of PETSC and I have a hopefully not too embarassing
question.  I am trying to integrate and timestep the 3D acoustic wave
equation:

u_tt = ( c2 ) * LAPLACIAN( u )

Does any of the timestepping operators in PETSc work with a second-order
derivative with the one above?  Normally, I would just expand u_tt as a
finite difference approximation using Leapfrog (or CN or RK ...) and
explicitly solve for the u field at timestep n+1.  However I would like to
use the vector-matrix formulation in PETSc -my goal is to be able to solve
the acoustic wave equation explicitly or implicitly (the user would decide
with a command-line option).

Thanks,
Mark

--
Mark Patrick Cheeseman

Research Scientist
KSL (KAUST Supercomputing Laboratory)
Building 1, Office #126
King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
Thuwal 23955-6900
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

EMAIL   : mark.cheeseman at kaust.edu.sa
PHONE : +966   (2) 808 0221 (office)