[petsc-users] a question for iterative solver users

Umut Tabak u.tabak at tudelft.nl
Wed May 19 10:15:23 CDT 2010

Dear all,

What could be the benefit of iterative solvers(specifically cg or pcg),
as a factor, in comparison to direct solvers, on reasonably large sparse
systems if one has a well conditioned operator matrix.

This question might be a bit abstract(like the one above) though I will
fire anyway ;) : where does cg or iterative methods really start to beat
direct solvers, again for a well conditioned operator matrix? I am
asking this from matrix size point of view.

I could not make, really, use of iterative solvers due to
ill-conditioned matrices, however at some point of my algorithm, I have
a matrix which seems to be well conditioned but still MATLAB's backslash
beats the pcg. This was the reason of the above questions, in a bit
awkward order.

I would like to hear experiences from the general user community if
possible.

Best,
Umut