memory reporting question

Matt Funk mafunk at nmsu.edu
Fri Sep 18 10:32:24 CDT 2009

Ok,

i am more confused now.
The following is part of my code:

  PetscLogDouble mem;
  PetscMemoryGetCurrentUsage(&mem);
  cout<<"PetscMemoryGetCurrentUsage: "<<mem<<"\n"; cout.flush();
  PetscMemoryGetMaximumUsage(&mem);
  cout<<"PetscMemoryGetMaximumUsage: "<<mem<<"\n"; cout.flush();

This is what is reported:

PetscMemoryGetCurrentUsage: 5.25525e+08
PetscMemoryGetMaximumUsage: 3.09055e+08

Now, unless i am missing something obvious, i am completely confused how it is
that the maximum usage can be less than the current usage.

What am i missing here?

thanks
matt