[petsc-users] Problems with the intel compilers

Sean Dettrick sdettrick at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 18:22:52 CDT 2009

Intel optimization is slow, and is turned on by default.  If you turn
off intel optimization completely with -O0, then you'll probably find
compilation speeds up to be similar to gnu.

Is the increased compilation time of intel worth it?  We find intel
programs are usually faster than gnu ones.  And the intel debugger idb
is in many ways more powerful than gdb.  But on the other hand we have
a fortran based CG solver where gfortran compiled code is much faster
than the intel one.

Cheers,
Sean