About makefile

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Fri Oct 9 07:33:31 CDT 2009

On Oct 9, 2009, at 7:05 AM, jarunan at ascomp.ch wrote:

> Hello
>
> After the compilation, is it compulsory to delete .o file?
> Actually, once I found that .o file do not update unless I delete it
> before recompiling. I might misunderstand. if not, I would like to
> know some reason behind.

Make only recompiles files where the source file is newer than the
resulting file (the .o file).  Thus if you have not modified the
source file for a .o file, it will not be recompiled and will be
relinked as is.  If you wish to force everything to recompile (maybe
new compiler options etc)  then you need to delete all your
old .o .a .so and .mod files.  So they are recreated with the new
options.

This is a feature of make, that is really helpful, it keeps you from
having to wait to recompile code that has already been compiled once,
if it will not change.

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing