stdout and KSPMonitor

Alex Peyser peyser.alex at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 19:15:35 CDT 2009

I'm just sending this for anybody who ever runs into this problem:

If you kill stderr or stdout somewhere in your code (particularly if you have
your own mpi launcher that does the spawn), KSPMonitor functions will simply
kill the process on output. Not surprising -- it doesn't have many recovery
options, other than I guess propagating an error up.

This is definitely the case for petsc-2.3.3 -- I doubt that such code would
have been changed in more modern versions. It's entirely possible that it
isn't even in the petsc code this occurs, but that some mpi implementations
are handling the output to stdout when it's closed by killing the process.

It just creates a bit of chasing, since such code would probably be quite
remote from the petsc calls themselves, and at least mpich2 makes it
impossible to localize in the running code.

Regards,
Alex Peyser