PCFieldSplit and Schur

francois pacull fpacull at fluorem.com
Wed Nov 25 10:15:04 CST 2009

Thanks again for your message.
It is true that in the case of a single split of the seven fields
between the 5 aerodynamic variables and the two turbulent variables
(classical k-omega in our case), the blocksize=5 system still has some
kind of stiffness due to the large difference of speed between the fluid
motion and the acoustic waves. However, we use some block diagonal
scaling with a local preconditioning blocksize=5 matrix (Weiss and Smith
preconditioner). We do observe a better convergence rate when using this
scaling in order to improve the local condition number. In general, when
we remove the rows and columns corresponding to the two turbulent
variables of a system, we get a rather nice behavior of the solver. But
when we keep them, a high level of incomplete factorization within the
PCASM (which works well with full factorization) is required in order to
avoid a complete stagnation of the GMRES. This is why i am trying to
split off this bs=2 matrix and find the best way to deal with it, as
well as its coupling with the aerodynamic variables matrix. I will
definitely give you the feedback of your arguments and the results of
this fieldsplit when i get more work done regarding this issue.
francois pacull.