MatMult with nonconforming error

SUN Chun Chun.SUN at 3ds.com
Mon Nov 16 10:08:29 CST 2009

Hi,

I was trying to do MatMult with a non-square matrix and a vector. They have different local dimensions.

For this particular case, my Mat is 12x48, my Vec is 48x1.When I run in parallel with 2 cores, I have Mat partitioned by row in 12+0, and I have Vec partitioned by row in 18+30. When I perform MatMult, I get:

[0]PETSC ERROR: Nonconforming object sizes!
[0]PETSC ERROR: Incompatible partition of A (24) and xx (18)!

Is it required to partition Vec and Mat such that my Vec's row partition agrees my Mat's column partition? If so, is there any way to get around this?

Thanks,
Chun