MPIAIJ and MatSetValuesBlocked

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 4 15:05:08 CDT 2009

On May 4, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Randall Mackie
> <rlmackie862 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jed,
>
> Can you explain how to tell if the matrix is truly blocked? What's the
> difference between a blocked matrix and one with several degrees of
> freedom
> at each node, or are they the same thing? I'm solving Maxwell's
> equations
> in 3D, so I have three vector field components at each node, is that
> what
> you mean by blocked?
>
> Yes, that is blocked.

    The 3 components at each node create a little tiny blocks
representing the coupling
between the various components at the node. If each component is
coupled to all other
components at that node then the little blocks are dense. If there is
only partial coupling then
the little blocks are sparse.  BAIJ treats the little blocks as dense,
so if they are truly dense
you get the best performance. If they are "mostly filled in" then you
get better performance
with BAIJ (over AIJ) but with the cost of doing some extra
computations on the zeros
in the blocks.

    Barry