Petsc configure error

Ryan Yan vyan2000 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 17:11:22 CDT 2009

 Hi Satish,
What I am tring to do is using TAU to profile a solver using PETSc  function
calls on a Sicortex cluster. Now I am just building on a desktop.

I tried tauex, it can run. But it did not provide me any explicit profiling
about PETSc function calls. Instead, it only gave me profiling on the TAU
application and MPI routines.

I have send email inquiries to TAU developer. They suggestted me rebuild
PETSc with TAU if I want those profiles on PETSc function calls.

Frankly, I do not have experience with profiling or performance analysis on
a solver.  Do you have any suggestion or pointers to other source on doing
performance analysis for PETSc solvers, considering the option of using TAU
may need lots of workarounds when I rebuilt PETSC with TAU on the cluster.

Thank you very much,

Yan

 On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> TAU isn't tested with petsc in the past few years. So thing could be
> broken. I'll have to check on this.

Hi Satish,
What I am tring to do is using TAU to profile a solver using PETSc  function
calls on a Sicortex cluster.

I tried tauex, it can run. But it did not provide me any explicit profiling
about PETSc function calls. Instead, it just give me an profiling on the TAU
application and MPI routines.

I have send inquiryies to TAU developer. They suggestted me rebuild PETSc
with TAU if I want those profiles on PETSc function calls.

Frankly, I do not have experience with profiling or performance analysis on
a solver. Do you have any suggestion on doing performance analysis for PETSc
solvers?