PETSc version 3.0.0-p2

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 14:01:49 CST 2009

Sorry for the late response.

In 3.0.0, some things have changed in ASM. Now ASM try to make a
"smart" subdomain partitioning, they are likely to improve things in
the case of unstructured grid problems or many subdomanins per
processor. However, if your problem is on a structured grid, and you
are using 2 processors, and let say 4 subdomains (i.e., 2
subdoms/proc), then in that particular case the new "smart"
partitioning could be a bit worse than the one obtained with the old
code. But I would not expect a dramatic difference in the GMRES
iteration counts...

The differences will only show-up if you built PETSc with ParMETIS and
you are using more than 1 subdomain per processor.  Is this your case?

--
Lisandro Dalcín