VecSetValues and irreproducible results in parallel

Boyce Griffith griffith at cims.nyu.edu
Wed Jan 28 12:27:50 CST 2009

Hi, Barry --

I suppose that each of the runs could be thought of as a particular
"realization" or something like that.  In my case, I figure they are all
"equally wrong."  ;-)  I have a hunch that the discrepancies between
runs is exacerbated by under-resolution, but I haven't confirmed this to
be the case.

What got me started on this was I was looking into the effect of
changing a convergence threshold: how tight do I need to make my
convergence tolerance before I start getting the "same" answer?  I was
distressed to discover that no matter how tight the tolerance, the
results were always different.  Then I noticed that they were different
even for the same tolerance.  This made it a little difficult to choose
the tolerance!

I'd be happy to supply the code for inclusion in petsc-dev.  I use C++
STL vectors and sorting algorithms in VecAssemblyEnd, however.  Can I
toss you all the code with C++ stuff in it, or would it really only be
useful if I turn it into C-only code first?

-- Boyce