Increasing convergence rate

jerome ho jerome.snho at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 23:59:05 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Jed Brown <jed at 59a2.org> wrote:
> Most preconditioners are not the same in parallel, including these
> implementations of AMG.  At a minimum, the smoother is using a block
> Jacobi version of SOR or ILU.  As you add processes beyond 2, the
> increase in iteration count is usually very minor.
>
> If you are using multiple cores, the per-core floating point
> performance will also be worse due to the memory bandwidth bottleneck.
>  That may contribute to the poor parallel performance you are seeing.

Hi

I'm getting strange results. In parallel (on 2 processors), the result
doesn't to be able to converge further but appears to fluctuate
between 1e-9 and 1e-8 (after 100+ iterations), when it solves in 8
iterations on a single machine. I decrease the rtol (from 1e-7) for
the parallel simulation because I'm getting a 20% result difference.

When I split into more (6) processors, it's reporting divergence. Am I
doing something wrong here? Should I be switching to DMMG method
instead? The matrix size is about 1mil x 1mil.

Jerome