distribution of submatrix and subvector Re: how to extract a subvector?

Yujie recrusader at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 19:58:27 CST 2009

Dear Barry:

When using MatGetSubmatrix() to get a submatrix in parallel mode, to my
knowledge, this function will exact the rows and cols for submatrix. This
submatrix is not redistributed. For example, if there is zero row and zero
col in a process, the row and col of this submatrix in this process are
zero, right?
However, to get a subvector using Vec scatter, the user needs to create the
subvector using MPI_COMM, that is new distribution for subvector is
generated. Just regarding only rows or cols of the submatrix and the
subvector, their distribution should be different even if using the same
index to get them, right? thanks a lot.

Regards,
Yujie