singular matrix

Chetan Jhurani chetan at ices.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 16 12:12:44 CDT 2009

I am not sure of the order in which the p singular values would be
determined in SLEPc, but if they are the p largest values, then the
approximate pseudoinverse determined from them could be far from the
"exact" pseudoinverse.

In essence, the smallest singular values are those that determine the
magnitude of the entries of the pseudoinverse, and those have been
ignored in the approximation by truncation above.

The reciprocals are used in step 3 above.  Reciprocals of the ignored
(n - p - z) singular values (where z is the number of zero singular
values) will be large compared to the reciprocals of the p larger
values and the approximation to pseudoinverse may not be good at all.

I think this analysis is correct, but let me know if I've made a stupid
mistake.

Chetan