DeprecationWarning in ./config/configure.py

Hiroshi Katsurayama katsura at yamaguchi-u.ac.jp
Thu Apr 9 07:17:01 CDT 2009

Hello,

I try to use PETSC-3.0.0-p4 on Ubuntu 9.04 linux (present beta version)
whose python version is 2.6.1.

When ./config/configure.py, the following there "DeprecationWarning"s appear before "TESTING:".

             Configuring PETSc to compile on your system
/home/hiroshi/local/petsc/petsc-3.0.0-p4/config/BuildSystem/config/compilers.py:7: DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
  import sets
/home/hiroshi/local/petsc/petsc-3.0.0-p4/config/PETSc/package.py:7: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
  import md5
/home/hiroshi/local/petsc/petsc-3.0.0-p4/config/BuildSystem/script.py:101: DeprecationWarning: The popen2 module is deprecated.  Use the subprocess module.
  import popen2

TESTING:

The configure process after TESTING seems to finish successfully,
and next "make all" and "make test" also seem to finish normally.

Are these warnings ignorable?

I attache the detailed log file of my configure (my_linux_gnu_intel.log).
But these warnings also appear in
simply

"./config/configure.py"

irrespective of compiler or blas.

When I tried the configure on Ubuntu 8.10 whose python version is 2.5.2,
these warning did not appear.

Hence the latest python (version 2.6.1) on Ubuntu 9.04 BETA maybe cause these warnings.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Hiroshi Katsurayama