Matrixfree modification

Johann Schlamp schlamp at in.tum.de
Tue Oct 28 16:35:39 CDT 2008

Barry Smith wrote:
>    If you have the "matrix-based" version that you can run on the same
> problem then
> look at the residuals computed in the 0th and 1st step of the Krylov
> method
> to see how they are different in the two runs.
The residuals in the 0th and 1st step of the linear solver are
0.00363413
0.00189276
for the "matrix-based" version, and
0.00363413
1.27858e-17
for the matrix-free version. That's definitely smaller than epsilon, so
it converges. By the way, the "matrix-based" version doesn't converge
either, as I was not using a preconditioner for getting comparable results.

Simply thought: the residual is in the magnitude of machine accuracy, so
I would have concluded that the calculation of the residual (y-A*x)
results in zero with respect to some rounding errors. Unfortunately, I
don't completely understand the PETSc code for calculating the residual
and therfore cannot verify it for my new matrix structure.

>    Perhaps your matrix-free is corrupting memory? Run with -malloc_debug
> and put a CHKMEMQ; at the end of your matrix free multiply. Or better
> run through
> valgrind,. www.valgrind.org
Interesting thought! I will check this tomorrow.

Johann