Parallel petsc with external UMFPACK

Lars Rindorf Lars.Rindorf at teknologisk.dk
Tue May 13 08:49:19 CDT 2008

Hi

I'm thinking about using petsc to solve a linear system (Ax=b) using
parallelization on a couple of linux computers. It is very important for
my system (electromagnetics) to use a direct solver, such as UMFPACK.
Iterative solvers perform very poorly.

My question is:  I can see that UMFPACK is not listed
(http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-2/documentation/linearsolvertab
le.html) on the petsc page. Are there any plans to expand petsc to also
include petsc?

The UMFPACK homepage says that there exist a parallization for UMFPACK
by Steve Hadfield. Can his parallelization be used with petsc?

I must add, that although I like numerics and maths I do not intend to
program 'from scratch'.

Kind regards
Lars Rindorf

Lars Rindorf