matrix memory allocation

Matt Funk mafunk at nmsu.edu
Wed Mar 26 17:01:43 CDT 2008

Maybe i should clarify a little more.
I guess what i am looking for is something that lets me split up the memory
allocation within a given processor.

The example you guys often show (for example on MatCreateMPIAIJ manual page)
is where the local process owns 3 rows.

But consider for example if the local process owns 1000 rows. Right now (as i
can see it) i have two options. Do not allocate memory at all and use
MatSetValues and allocate memory per row. This is very slow as you guys state
on your manual pages.
The other option is to allocate all 1000 rows at a time which means extra
overhead.

However, what i would like to be able to (as an example), make 2 calls for an
allocation of 200 rows and a second call for an allocation of the remaining
800 rows.

I do not know if this is possible as i don't know whether all the local stuff
is stored in on continuous array?

Anyway, i hope this clarifies my question a little more.

thank
mat