Creating a new vector based on a already distributed set of Vecs

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Mar 23 17:03:01 CDT 2008

On Mar 23, 2008, at 2:59 PM, Vijay S. Mahadevan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am sure the subject line wasn’t too explanatory and so here goes.
>
> I have a system which already has a Vec object created and
> distributed on
> many processors based on domain decomposition. I could have several
> such
> systems, each with a solution vector and a residual vector
> pertaining to its
> physics.

    Is this really an accurate description of the situation? In
parallel computing
(and certainly in the PETSc paradigm) for a single physics there are
really TWO distinct
vector layouts. The layout that the Newton and linear solver sees
(without holes in the vectors
or ghost points in the vectors), what we call the Global vectors and
then what the
"physics" on each process sees, which is a part of the global vector
plus the ghost
points that are needed to perform the local part of the computation,
what we
call the local (or ghosted) vectors. At the beginning of  the function
evaluations (or matrix-free multiply)
values are moved from the global representation to the local
representation,
local "physics" is computed and then (depending on the discretization,
for finite differences
usually no, for finite element usually yes) computed values are moved
back to the
process where they belong from ghost locations. In PETSc the movement
of the ghost values is handled
with VecScatter or DAGlobalToLocal/DALocalToGlobal.

   With multiple "physics" (say two) there are possibly three levels:
the global representation
of the unified physics, the global representation of the individual
physics and the
local representation of the individual physics (note that "individual"
physics local computations
actually depend, in general, on other individual physics either as
given parameters or
boundary values ).  If you are doing linear or nonlinear solves on the
individual physics
then you really need all three representations, if you only have an
outer Newton (or Krylov)
solver and compute the physics by computing a bunch of individuals
physics solves then
you really don't need the global representation of the individual
physics, you could
scatter directly from the global representation of the unified physics
to the local (ghosted)
representation of the individual physics.

Based on your question I am guessing you have the first case, that is
you already
work with global representation of the individual physics. If this is
correct then a global representation
of the multiphysics conceptually is simply a concatenation of the
global representation of the
individual physics: to be more concrete say I have global
representations of physics one
which is an MPI vector u where u(part-zero) lives on process 0 while
u(part-one) lives on process 1.
Meanwhile physics two has T(part-zero) on the first process and T(part-
one) lives on process 1.
(Since these are global representations of u and T there are no ghost
points inside the u and T).
Now the global representation of the unified physics would be  P(part-
zero)  = [u(part-zero) T(part-zero)] on process
zero and P(part-one) = [u(part-one) T(part-one)].

Your question is then: if you have a vector u(part-*) and T(part-*)
can you avoid copying them
in P(part*) (the global SNES solver works on the global unified
vector) and instead wrap up the
two vectors u and T to make them look like a single vector for SNES?

The answer is yes you can, BUT (as Matt points out) doing this is ONLY
a tiny optimization (in time and memory
savings) over simply copying the two parts into P when needed and
copying them out of P when neccessary).
In the entire running of your two physics I would be amazed if these
little copies (which involve no
parallel communication and will be totally swamped by the parallel
communication used in updating the
ghost points) made up more than
a tiny percentage of the time (if they do then the two "physics" are
each trivial). I highly
recommend starting with the three distinct levels of representation
and doing the needed copies;
your code will be clean and MUCH easier to debug and keep track of.
Once you are running your
cool multiphysics app on your real problem ,if profiling indicates the
extra copies are killing you
you can come back to us and we can help with optimizations.

    Barry

We are ourselves struggling with approaches to making doing multi-
physics very straightforward with PETSc;
any feed back from users is helpful .