Creating a new vector based on a already distributed set of Vecs

Vijay S. Mahadevan vijay.m at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 14:59:32 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I am sure the subject line wasn’t too explanatory and so here goes.

I have a system which already has a Vec object created and distributed on
many processors based on domain decomposition. I could have several such
systems, each with a solution vector and a residual vector pertaining to its
physics.

Now, can I create a global vector which would just be pointers to the
already existing vectors but from PETSc's point of view, appears to be a
globally valid, (and possibly weirdly) distributed vector. Such an option
will save the memory needed for the global vector and eliminates errors as
to synchronization of the solution, residuals for the systems.

I was reading the documentation and found the PetscMap data structure. But I
am not entirely sure if this is what I am looking for.

I hope that makes sense. I would appreciate any help you can provide to
point me in the right direction.

Cheers,
Vijay

Checked by AVG.