Block-smoothers with variable block size

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 21 12:13:48 CDT 2008

On Mar 21, 2008, at 8:03 AM, Nicolas Tardieu wrote:

> Dear Barry,
>
> I have a few questions about inodes :
> - can the user specify the inodes sizes (it seems to me this is an
> automatic PETSc feature to gain performance, right?)?

     No, they must be inodes, they are not arbitary

> - can the inodes have different sizes?

    Yes, they are what ever they are.

> Otherwise I plan to define a new matrix type MATSEQVBAIJ (VB for
> variable block) based on MATSEQAIJ with an additional attribute
> defining the block sizes.

    This is overkill, you will end up doing a lot more work then you
need to!
The locations for storing the diagonal blocks is already in the
MATSEQAIJ data structures, if you
write code to replace the MatRelax_Inode (that uses that same diagonal
space) you are done.

    Barry