PetscViewerBinaryOpen getting stuck

Gideon Simpson grs2103 at columbia.edu
Sat Mar 8 11:19:30 CST 2008

1.  Certainly a problem in serial.  Also a problem on a shared memory
machine with MPI.  Have not tested on a distributed memory machine

2.  When loading the matrix with MatLoad, you can see in top that it
starts gunzip, and then gunzip idles,using no memory or cpu.

3.  Here's an update.  This is NOT a petsc problem, or at least not
obviously a petsc problem.  I am using petsc in conjunction with
fenics software.  I decided that I wanted to do problems that would
need to be run on distributed memory machines, so I decoupled the
three processes.  I run dolfin code that generates the matrices and
vectors and saves them as petsc binaries.  Then I have pure petsc code
that solves the problem.  Finally, there is another dolfin program
that interprets the output in terms of my variables.  I discovered
that if I do not run this third segment, I can run the petsc solver
piece as many times as I want, and there is no idling of gunzip.
Maybe dolfin has a memory leak or something.

4. Also, if I choose not to zip my files, and just dump the
uncompressed binary data, the problem also disappears.

Related question:  when saving compressed binaries, if there is
already something in the directory with the filename, gzip prompts to
overwrite.  Is there a way to circumvent this need for user
intervention?