Analysis of performance of parallel code as processors increase

Ben Tay zonexo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 20:07:04 CDT 2008

Hi,

I have coded in parallel using PETSc and Hypre. I found that going from
1 to 4 processors gives an almost 4 times increase. However from 4 to 8
processors only increase performance by 1.2-1.5 instead of 2.

Is the slowdown due to the size of the matrix being not large enough?
Currently I am using 600x2160 to do the benchmark. Even when increase
the matrix size to 900x3240  or 1200x2160, the performance increase is
also not much. Is it possible to use -log_summary find out the error? I
have attached the log file comparison for the 4 and 8 processors, I
found that some event like VecScatterEnd, VecNorm and MatAssemblyBegin
have much higher ratios. Does it indicate something? Another strange
thing is that MatAssemblyBegin for the 4 pros has a much higher ratio
than the 8pros. I thought there should be less communications for the 4
pros case, and so the ratio should be lower. Does it mean there's some
communication problem at that time?

Thank you very much.

Regards