few questions

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 27 14:40:41 CST 2008

Just a note on terminology. The difference between shared & dynamic is
a bit confusing [esp across windows/linux/mac etc..]. I like to use
'shared-libraries' name instead of 'dynamic-libraries', as thats the
primary feature of .so/.dylib/.dll etc.

PETSc configure supports the following options

--with-shared=0/1 --with-dynamic=0/1

The dynamic option refers to the using dlopen() to look for function
in a sharedlibrary [instead of resolving these functions at link-time]

If petsc is built with dynamic usage- then PETSC_USE_DYNAMIC_LIBRARIES
flag is set in petscconf.h. Shared libs can be identified by looking
at the library names.

Satish