Compiling PETSc with Visual Studio 2008

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 28 13:48:59 CDT 2008

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Farshid Mossaiby wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Configure says it cannot make ParMetis with the option
> --download-parmetis. Is this related to Visual Studio
> 2008 compiler I use, or something else is wrong? Here
> is the message:

Most externalpackages are never tested by their original authors with
MS compilers. And we have not tried porting them to them.

So most of them won't compile - hence --download-packagename might not
work.

BTW: Currently my test windows box is down - so I can't check if this
is supporsed to work with MS compilers.

> Error running make on ParMetis: Could not execute 'cd
> /home/Administrator/petsc-2.3.3-p12/externalpackages/ParMetis-dev;
> make clean; make lib; make minstall; make clean':
> make: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
> make: *** No rule to make target `lib'.  Stop.
> make: *** No rule to make target `minstall'.  Stop.
> make: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
>
> Regards,
> Farshid Mossaiby
>
> P.S. I hope this is appropriate place to ask this.

The appropriate thing is to send us the relavent log files
[configure.log etc] - and these can't be sent to petsc-user list [we
don't want to flood petsc-users subscribers with multi-megabyte
logfiles]. So the appropriate place is petsc-maint - with the relavent
logfiles.

Satish