general question on speed using quad core Xeons

Randall Mackie rlmackie862 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 21:03:15 CDT 2008

Okay, but if I'm stuck with a big 3D finite difference code, written in PETSc
using Distributed Arrays, with 3 dof per node, then you're saying there is
really nothing I can do, except using blocking, to improve things on quad
core cpus? They talk about blocking using BAIJ format, and so is this the
same thing as creating MPIBAIJ matrices in PETSc? And is creating MPIBAIJ
matrices in PETSc going to make a substantial difference in the speed?

I'm sorry if I'm being dense, I'm just trying to understand if there is some
simple way I can utilize those extra cores on each cpu easily, and since
I'm not a computer scientist, some of these concepts are difficult.

Thanks, Randy