DA question

Amit.Itagi at seagate.com Amit.Itagi at seagate.com
Thu Apr 10 08:10:34 CDT 2008

Randy/Sean/Matt,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to implement the algorithm on the
suggested lines.

Rgds,
Amit

             Randall Mackie
             <rlmackie862 at gmai
             l.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov
             owner-petsc-users                                          cc
             @mcs.anl.gov
             No Phone Info                                         Subject
             Available                 Re: DA question

             04/09/2008 06:44
             PM

             Please respond to
             petsc-users at mcs.a
                  nl.gov

Amit,

I have a staggered grid with H defined along the edges and E as normals
across the block faces. So if you have l x m x n blocks, then you need
to define your DA as l+1, m+1, n+1, to handle the extra grid point you
need for the staggered grid. I use 3 degrees of freedom (for Hx, Hy, and
Hz), and all my local calculations just need the box stencil.

Randy

Sean Dettrick wrote:
> To elaborate on Matt's suggestion, a staggered grid/Yee mesh code
> could use a single DA with one degree-of-freedom per component of H
> and E.  The extra overlap required for staggered guard cells at the
> domain boundaries could be dealt with by having a bigger-than-usual
> stencil width.  For the 2nd order 3D case, this suggests the
> DACreate3d routine would have arguments dof=6, s=2, and
> stencil_type=DA_STENCIL_STAR.
>
> It is just a suggestion - I have not tried it.
>
> Sean
>
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM,  <Amit.Itagi at seagate.com> wrote:
>> Randy,
>>
>>  I guess, since you are doing a frequency domain calculation, you
eventually
>>  end up with a single matrix equation.
>>
>>  I am planning to work in the time domain. Will that change things ?
>>
>>  Thanks
>>
>>  Rgds,
>>  Amit
>>

>>              Randall Mackie